Senior Communications Officer
Louise is looking for a highly motivated individual with excellent skills in: press; communication; creative social media content; and, use of social media tools, to support her constituency work. The role includes drafting press releases and social media pieces, and policy responses to constituent’s letters and e-mails. The successful candidate will be responsible for effectively communicating Louise’s work to constituents, the press, and stakeholders via traditional and social media.
This role will be based in Louise’s constituency office in Sheffield Heeley.
The successful candidate will:-
- Develop and deliver press strategies, working with local, regional and national journalists to promote campaigns and constituency issues.
- Monitor traditional and social media coverage, liaise with media, prepare press releases as required (on constituency, non-party political matters)
- Design and develop engaging, targeted content and messages across a range of channels.
- Manage the MP’s website contents
- Establish a social media presence and develop appropriate strategies to ensure there is a high quality online presence in the constituency; making sure it meets the demands of constituents, the locality and the MP.
- Evaluate the impact of external communications activity.
- Follow up on social media queries and comments.
- Oversee the monitoring and updating of online platforms including the website and social media.
- Prepare media briefings which are both proactive and re-active.
- Engage and respond professionally, sensitively, confidentially with care and integrity with constituents, the media, lobbyists and pressure groups through telephone enquiries, social media, emails and face to face.
- Build constructive working relationships with local, regional, and national journalists.
- Analyse, evaluate and interpret data to ensure the Member is accurately informed on key issues and is aware of trends.
- Research local, regional or national issues to support MPs’ work, and provide briefing when necessary.
- Produce high quality, well researched policy replies to address constituents and organisations lobbying of the MP.
- Liaise with Government agencies, voluntary sector, external providers and suppliers, and others to resolve constituency matters.
- Take initial action on queries from members of the public, including responding on behalf of the MP as appropriate.
- Ensure cases are logged; monitor progress, identified actions are taken, and records are kept in line with data protection legislation.
- Assist with surgeries and other meetings and follow up as appropriate
- Manage projects
- There may be requirement for the role holder to work outside of normal hours and travel for work occasionally
Key Skills and Experience
- Knowledge and experience of working in a political environment, and with media outlets, including traditional press and journalists, would be an advantage.
- Strong organisational skills, ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge and experience of producing traditional and electronic materials, including flyers, reports and surveys for use in constituent communications.
- Good IT skills – ability to use Microsoft Office.
- Media and social media management skills.
- Experience of digital video production software for digital content is desirable.
- Able to work with government agencies, local authorities, constituents and external organisations.
- Strong interpersonal skills, willingness to learn and the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Sympathetic to the aims of the Labour Party.
For more information on Louise’s work go to her website https://www.louisehaigh.org.uk/
Closing Date: 9:00 am on 7 June 2021
Interview Date: 10 June 2021
Starting Date: asap
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter (2 sides of A4 max) stating why you believe you are suitable for the role to email@example.com putting application for post of Senior Communications Officer in the title.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
For this position the pay range is £28,311 – £40381 dependant on experience.