Universal Credit was rolled out in Sheffield at the end of 2018. It is a new benefit that replaces Jobseeker’s Allowance, Housing Benefit, Working Tax Credits, Child Tax Credits, Employment and Support Allowance, and Income Support. If you are in receipt of any of these benefits you may need help with claiming Universal Credit.

Where to get help with Universal Credit

If you require support when applying for or managing Universal Credit in Sheffield, you can contact the following:

  • If you are unable to claim UC online, or you need help during the process, you can call the Department for Work and Pensions Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644.
  • Job Centre Plus: to find your local centre, call 0800 169 0190. Support is available with using computers to apply for UC. Support is also available to help you understand how UC works, and how to manage your budget to pay your rent and other bills.
  • If you are a Sheffield City Council or Housing Association tenant, your landlord can provide support to help you manage Universal Credit. If you have a private tenancy, contact the UC helpline or Job Centre Plus (see above).
  • If you need advice about your entitlement to UC you can contact Citizens Advice Sheffield www.citizensadvicesheffield.org.uk or use this website: www.entitledto.co.uk.

If you cannot obtain help from one of these sources, we will be holding Universal Credit specific surgeries in the constituency office for the period of the rollout. Please contact the office using these details if you would like to book a place.

Council Advice

Sheffield City Council has created an information sheet and advice for people affected by Universal Credit.


Link to Instagram Link to Twitter Link to YouTube Link to Facebook Link to LinkedIn Link to Snapchat Close Fax Website Location Phone Email Calendar Building Search